My life would be significantly worse with out this:
It seriously is a magic cure all for any major fail. So, besides baking, here are a few of my favorite uses:
1) Mix 1/2 tsp with a cup of water and chug. Wonderful antacid. It’ll stop most any flare I am having in its tracks. So days where I am going to the bathroom 3x in 20 minutes, I’ll drink a little baking soda cocktail and I’m back to once an hour. I think it disturbs my husband a little how non-chalantly I can drink it. Plus, when you burp afterwards (and you will), it tastes like you drank a real soda.
My lawyers would like me to tell you that you should not drink too much baking soda, lest you alkalize your body, but from what I understand, 1/2 tsp occasionally is fine.
2) Washing those pans you meant to wash last week. Magic formula for washing anything stuck on: sprinkle some baking soda on it, add some water, put the pan back on a burner and scrub. Obviously, don’t burn your hand. Works like a charm!
3) Cleaning the toilet. Baking soda is abrasive so it works like comet to get any grime off. Also true for bathrooms, etc.
4) Canker sores. I get bad canker sores occasionally, and baking soda works to help calm them down. Either mix a little with water and put it on the sore, or make the recipe in #1 and use it as a mouthwash.
5) Cleaning my oven. I’ll sprinkle it on, the spritz some vinegar+water mix over it. Probably not as good as a legit oven cleaner, but I tend to forget to clean my oven regularly, and so I’ll be about to start baking my bread, look at it, and think “Ahh I don’t want my bread smelling like pot roast.” Unlike bleach, you don’t have to wait for hours to use the oven again. You can just get in there, scrub, and start baking.
What are your favorite uses for this wonder substance?